Menu Content/Inhalt
F.A.Q. Print

About application and admission

About fees and financial aids

About the Master and the Thesis years

About the University

About the accomodation and the city

Additional useful information can be found at the  International Welcome Desk  of the ULB.

About application and admission

Which are the steps for enrolment in the Master?

You have first to download the application form, fill it in and ask for three recommendation letters. Then send all the documents (including grades on your former studies and any other additional information) plus a letter of motivation to the Director of Graduate Admission before September 30 (for EU Citizens)and April 30 (for non EU citizens).

Which are the steps for enrolment for a PhD thesis?

After the Master years or the Doctoral Training year, the Doctoral School decides about the admission to the thesis writing phase. In order to be admitted to the Doctoral School, a student must have finished her/his course work with an average grade of at least 14 (which roughly compares to a grade of B+ in the American system), and a minimum grade of 12 in each individual course. Furthermore, one of the ECARES members must be willing to supervise the student.

I have already a master degree, can I enroll in the ECARES Doctoral School program?

Yes. Having a master degree equivalent to 120 ECTS and with a quantitative level similar to ours are the two requirements for admissibility in either the Doctoral Training year or the thesis writing phase.

About fees and financial aids

How much does the Master and the Doctoral Training cost?

The Master costs approximately 840€ per year for EU citizens. For non EU citizens, some extra fees might be added for the master years. The Doctoral Training year costs approximately 840€.

How can I get a scholarship ?

In principle, ECARES does not offer scholarships during the two master years.  Nevertheless, for the second year of research master/first year doctoral students: up to 3 applications are rewarded every year with a one-year Research Assistant fellowship. There are however many external possibilities (check the item Fee and Financial Aid).  There are also some possibilities if you come from a developing country.  Follow this link to see the different possibilities of financing.  Some scholarships are available for the Doctoral Training year.  And all our PhD students in the writing thesis phase are financed.  Full time research scholarships, teaching assistantships and part time jobs are possible options.  In one way or another all our PhD students get financed.

Can I become teaching assistant?

Every year there are several teaching assistant positions available. Most require basic knowledge in French. 

About the Master and the Thesis years

What happens if I do not want to pursue the PhD after the master?

Nothing. You get your Master diploma and that’s it.

And if I want to continue?

See FAQ “Which are the steps for enrolment for a PhD thesis?”

Can I profit from other universities' expertise in Belgium

Yes. There are strong contacts and links with other Belgian universities, in particular with the Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) at the Université catholique de Louvain and the Economics Department of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. You may take doctoral courses at other universities, and you may also contact faculty from the other universities if it is needed for your research.

Can I visit some other university in Europe during my PhD?

Yes. ECARES is part of the ENTER network, consisting of nine top European universities. You are encouraged to spend some time in one of the universities. You can also do visits to universities that do not belong to the ENTER network.  The choice of the university depends on your research topic and on the opinion of your supervisor.

Can I do internships during my PhD?

Yes. It is a good idea to gain some professional experience during your PhD. But you should first ask your advisor and get his/her agreement.

Should I interact with colleagues and faculty?

Absolutely. The course work is challenging, and work in groups is encouraged. The faculty is always available to meet you and help you with your problems.

About the University

Which are the services provided by the University?

The university provides with all kind of services you may expect. Restaurants, travel agency, sports facilities, library, medical service, etc etc

Where is the campus?

The campus is at the very end of the most illustrious avenues of the city, Avenue Louise, and just next to the biggest park of the city, Bois de la Cambre. See satelite image from Google Earth

Is the campus accessible by public transportation?

Yes. You may reach the campus by tram or by bus.

Do I have to speak French at ECARES ?

No. At ECARES the working language is English.

About the accomodation and the city

Can the university help me to settle down ?

Yes, the ULB has a mobility center that helps you with every practical aspect of your arrival at our university. 

Where can I find an apartment or a student room?

One way to find an apartment in Brussels is choose the area where you want to live, and to walk through it. Tenants post rental announcements in the windows and doors of the available apartments. There is also a newspaper, "vlan", and several web sites like "immoweb" or "Le Vlan" with real estate ads.

As for the student rooms, the best is to look at the campus for the announcements that other students post in the restaurant area.

I don’t speak French, can I survive in Brussels?

Absolutely. Brussels is a very international city with many foreign inhabitants. Moreover, locals are proud of Brussels being the capital of Europe, and they are very open to foreigners. They are always ready to help you.

How do I reach Brussels?

Brussels is very well connected by train, car and airplane. Paris is only at 1h20’ by high speed train, and London 2h30’. Brussels airport has connections to all the main cities in Europe.

How much does is cost to live in Brussels?

As a single student, this is an approximate annual cost of living:

 Fees,  books 1250 €
 Rent (12*400 €) 4800 €
 Food (12*250 €) 3000 €
 Cloths 500 €
 Health 300 €
 Transport 400 €
 Internet (12*40 €) 480 €
 Miscela (phone, leisure, etc) 600 €
 Total 11380 €

Which are the cards and permission I have to get in Belgium?

Once you arrive to Belgium, you will have to enrol at the university. You will also have to register at the city hall and get a the social security card. The social security card is needed if you want to be reimbursed for any medical expenditures. More information here

How can I know more about life in Belgium?

There is a very useful site,, with all type of information for new arrivals.  Don’t hesitate to order it. They will mail it you, freely, to anywhere in the world.